Sunday, May 27, 2012

Etti-Cat

I was at one of my favorite museums, the New York City Transit Museum, this weekend with my brother Dave and his girlfriend Nina.  One of the best parts of the museum are the old subway cars lining the platform of the decommissioned station.  You can go inside them and see some of the old advertisements from each era.  In the 1960s, the MTA had an advertising campaign featuring Etti-Cat, the mass transit etiquette cat.  Here are a couple ads I saw.


And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a real cat down on the museum's platform!  Here is Etti-Cat in the flesh and blood, hanging out on one of the subway cars (a trash car?).  He has a collar, so I assume he is the museum's pet--his job is probably to keep the rodent population under control, since the museum is in a former station in the subway system.  
Note (2/9/13): I just learned that the live Etti-Cat is named Sadie!  That is the name of my first dog :-D

1 comment:

J said...

Woah! That real kitty came as a surprise! Love those pod signs. :)